Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Millennial Manifesto; An Aim for Authenticity

By Presence Massie


The history of all hitherto existing millennials is the history of inauthenticity.


I, _____________, did nothing to deserve this. I was dealt these cards. I will, however, aim to rise above my social conditions.


I, a millennial, admit I was raised to be entitled, self-interested, and impatient.


Firstly, I recognize I am a product of the generation who raised me. As a result of their parenting strategies, I was unrealistically told I could become that which I had dreamed. The tyranny of the “I can achieve anything I set my mind to” ideology was fed to me endlessly by my parent(s) so much so that sitting with failure was not a viable option. It was impossible for me to fail. The counterfeit trophies and medals, which I won for losing games and competitions, were designed to lure me from defeat. This is why I am entitled. I was convinced I was deserving of anything I desired while failure was veiled by rewards.


It is the great beast of my age, however, where my battle is truly waging: on the plains of technology. There is no one individual to blame for this. History followed this path. Having been raised in the Digital Revolution’s full swing, social media and other forms of communication such as texting, have completely altered my reality. Authentic relationships are increasingly difficult for me to build and maintain. My perceptions of others are formed through their filtered, edited lives on social media. The abundance of internet and communicative technology at a young age provided my brain with dopamine as I coped with  the stresses of adolescence. Now I fall prey to the unexplainable pleasures of facebook responses and text tones in place of quality time with living, breathing individuals. I mindlessly scroll through my phone in moments of boredom rather than speaking to the person by my side. Deep, meaningful-relationships are increasingly elusive. Inauthenticity runs and roams unfettered and I recognize this.


Thirdly, as a product of instant gratification following the digital age, I recognize I have developed a character of impatience. Microwaves, fast food restaurants, and high speed internet of 300 Mbit/s are all too.slow.for.me. Instead of waiting week by week for a tv show to air, I binge-watch another on Hulu. Rather than sitting in a movie theater simultaneously laughing and crying with complete strangers as we are affected by the same film, I lay in my bed, in my dark room, by myself, watching Netflix. This is my happy place and I abhor it.
Furthermore, my impatience causes me to be lazy and ultimately give in to my social anxiety by escaping human interaction. Instead of going to a store, I purchase items on Amazon with a mouse-click and am likewise able to avoid uncomfortable small talk with the cashier.
____


I, a millennial, recognize I am entitled, self-interested, and impatient. In spite of the social conditions into which I was born and the lies with which I was instilled, in my search for authenticity, I will commit myself to the realization that life is to be lived through arduous and onerous work, the pursuit of genuine relationships, and the practice of long-suffering in my day to day life.


I will ardently strive to remove hindrances which keep me from pursuing deep, meaningful relationships and living authentically.


I, _____________, choose authenticity.


***One great step I can take is ridding my life of the temptations aroused by my smartphone. I can purchase a flip phone instead. Here are ten reasons to convince me:

1 comment: